Friday, January 25, 2013

All I wanna say is STOP IT!

    What is this un...no not un... in... inane idea that we need to constantly CHANGE... like staying the same will somehow brand you a dinosaur. But it's only ten minutes old WHY do I need an update?

    It is frustrating. I am the type of person who spends a lot of time researching things and KEEPING records of these researches so I can re-check as needed. Usually this method keeps me informed of changes, occasionally I make an error, but when I have JUST researched something and then begin to use said research only to find that the sources have up and relocated I get annoyed.

    Most recently is the Google apps that, when I installed Chrome, pestered me every time I turned Chrome ON. Now, I am ready to explore them, they have decided I waited too long and no longer appear. ANYWHERE. (That I can find, anyhow. I've tried searching Google... I get lots of 'communities' but NO page of apps...)

    I find the same issue with other websites. The owners of said sites see their pages day-in-day-out and they get bored with the layout; or the colours; or the content, so they decide to re-vamp, make things different; shake it up. TOTALLY ignoring their visitors in their need to appease their own crazy ideas.

    I am beginning to doubt the validity of WordPress.com any more. Every week there's a new leading page and I keep wondering, "Is this the REAL site, or a fake, masquerading, trying to get my password?"

    That is the biggest complaint I have; and I hear from clients... Oh, yeah, I design and maintain websites... NOT for a living! For a few friends and businesses that think I can do a pretty good job. I advise constantly, "Chose your design and LEAVE IT ALONE!" (tweaks are expected in the first few months as you settle on the BEST plan, but after that...STOP!)

    Customers/clients will easily find things once they begin navigating your site and they won't get frustrated every few weeks popping in, viewing something new, again, leaving the impression that

  • a) The site cannot be trusted as you're never really sure if you are ON the OFFICIAL site.
  • b) The company has no business sense, (I mean, if they can't get their website right...)
  • c) They don't REALLY want your business and they are just setting up the site to scam folks...
Now, don't misunderstand...static NEVER changing sites are BORING! You need to update content and provide new products and features, but you DON'T need to alter your FRONTpage, or change the navigation. If you change the main page, announce it, tell folks so they are not frightened and sceptical about where they may have been re-directed...

    Now, Google, where the heck are those apps???

frustrated and beginning to think it's a perpetual state,
khrys...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google apparently needs you to verifiy you are a human and not an android... I guess I am okay with that, after all, no one likes spam... (Except in Hawaii... it gets GREAT reviews there...) Anyway, I appreciate your taking the time to leave me a message, thank you for your consideration. Have a wonderful day... or at least pretend to! luv khrys...